Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Why I Sign.

Me (Age 8) and Emily (Age 5)  
So some people asking how did you get into Sign Language?  Most people  (not all) would respond with I have Deaf family member or I picked it up in a class I took way back when.  Well my story is a little different.  When  was three years old my sister, Emily, was born on September 22nd 1995, right on time and perfectly healthy.  She was like every normal baby and I was getting to be the big sister I wanted to be.  But shortly before my sisters first birthday I believe she started to become distant to her surroundings.  My parents thought she had gotten Sudden Deafness Syndrome.  So we started to teach her sign language.  But we would learn after my tests and opions that Emily was diagnosed as Non-Verbal Autisic and may never be normal.  So we kept giving her Sign Language lesson but not result for her but for me who would watch the lessons from a hiding spot began to pick it up.  And then over the years with taking class through programs out and in schools it seemed to be my natural track.  My sister never picked up the language and probably never will but I am thankful for her and all the adventures she has brought me because I might have never learned sign and might not know where I would be now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment